When updating the firmware, always update to the latest version available for the product and its respective order number. The previous versions of the firmware are only intended as backup to allow a downgrade to the original version.
Online Firmware Update by means of STEP 7 SIMATIC Manager:
- An online update of the firmware is possible with STEP 7 V5.4 + SP2 or higher.
- The interface module in the station - whose firmware is to be updated - has to be accessible online. In the SIMATIC Manager, the network card used has to be set to "TCP/IP (Auto)" under -> "Options" -> "Set PG/PC Interface".
- The files with the latest firmware versions have to be present in the file system of your PG or PC. One folder may only contain the files for one firmware version.
Caution: If special port parameterizations were performed, the module has to be reset to the factory defaults prior to the firmware update.
Performing a Firmware Update
- Start STEP 7.
- In the SIMATIC Manager select -> "Target Systems" -> "Accessible Nodes".
- Highlight the "IM 154-4 PN High Feature".
- Select the menu command "Target System" -> "Update Firmware". Modules without NameOfStation (NoS) will be displayed with their MAC address.
With STEP 7 V5.4 SP5 or higher, slot 0 has to be specified for the IM 154-4 PN High Feature. With earlier versions of STEP 7, this setting is implicitly provided.
- In the "Update Firmware" dialog displayed, select the path to the firmware update files (*.UPD) using the "Search" button.
- After selecting a file, the lower fields of the "Update Firmware" dialog will display information for which module the file is suitable and from which firmware version.
Please set the check box "Activate Firmware after Loading", if the firmware is to be loaded immediately after a successful installation. Otherwise, the firmware will be activated after the next power OFF/ON.
- Click on the "Execute" button. The IM 154-4 PN High Feature will then autonomously carry out the firmware update.
You have updated your IM 154-4 PN High Feature online with a new firmware version.
If the IM 154-4 PN High Feature has been reset to the factory defaults prior to the firmware update, the proximity detection feature of firmware V6.0.0 or higher will transfer and enable the port parameterizations after the connection from the controller to the IM 154-4 PN High Feature has been established for the first time. With previous versions, the device name has to be reassigned via "Target System" -> "Display Accessible Nodes" and "Target System" -> "Edit Ethernet Nodes".
The firmware can also be updated through HW Config. Further information can be found in the Online Help of STEP 7.