The following table lists the requirements for installing STEP 7 version V5.5. You should observe the following points before installing the STEP 7 software:
- Hardware requirements
- Software requirements
- Operating systems not supported
- Compatibility with other software products
- Memory requirements
- User rights
- Installation over an existing version of STEP 7
- Installation of STEP 7 Professional Edition 2010
The table also includes a number of remedies if the installation is aborted or error messages are displayed during or after installation:
- Message: "Please reboot before installing any more programs"
- Message: "257:5 One or more objects of a type cannot be displayed. ..."
- Message: "RUNTIME ERROR 9 - Subscript out of range"
- Message: "Runtime Error 53"
- Message: "ScriptEngine too old"
- Message: "Internal OLE error 256:26"
Requirements and remedies for installing STEP 7 version V5.5
||Requirements / Remedies|
Please note that you need increased main memory expansion for STEP 7 version V5.5. Below are the requirements for STEP 7 V5.5.
- In Windows XP Professional your PC requires at least 512 MB RAM and a processor of at least 600 MHz (recommended memory expansion of 1 GB).
- In Windows Server 2003 your PC requires at least 1 GB RAM and a processor of at least 2.4 GHz.
- In Windows 7 your PC requires at least 1 GB RAM and a processor of at least 1 GHz (recommended memory expansion of 2 GB).
STEP 7 version V5.5 is released for the operating systems below:
- MS Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate Professional and Enterprise (standard installation) with or without SP1.
- *MS Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Professional and Enterprise with or without SP1.
- *MS Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit) with or without SP1.
- MS Windows XP Professional SP2 or SP3.
- MS Windows Server 2003 SP2 / R2 SP2 standard edition as workstation computer.
The STEP 7 software is released for Windows XP Professional (32-bit). Installation in Windows XP Professional X64 (64-bit edition) is not possible.
*STEP 7 V5.5+SP1 (or higher)
You need the Internet Explorer 6.0 (or higher).
More information is also available in our FAQ on "Compatibility of STEP 7 versions with the MS Windows operating systems" in Entry ID: 8250891.
||Operating systems not supported|
Windows 95 / 98 / Me / NT / Windows 2000 and Windows Vista are no longer supported. Windows XP mode in Windows 7 is not released.
||Compatibility with other software products|
Information on this is available in our FAQ "Which SIMATIC software packages are compatible with which Microsoft Windows operating system and with STEP 7 V5.5?" in Entry ID: 18734363.
STEP 7 V5.5 requires between about 650 and 900 MB of free memory on your hard disk.
The Windows operating systems supported require additional memory on the hard disk (typically disk C:) for the swap file, depending on the memory expansion available. You should keep at least twice the size of the main memory free. (Example: with a main memory expansion of 512 MB you need another 1024 MB of free memory on the hard disk for the swap file after installing STEP 7). Depending on the project size, you might need a larger swap file when copying an entire project, for example (twice the project size in addition on the hard disk). If the memory for the swap file is too small, errors might occur (or the program might even crash). Other Windows applications (MS Word, for example) running simultaneously with STEP 7 V5.5 also require additional hard disk space for the swap file.
More information on setting the virtual main memory in the Windows operating systems is also available in Entry ID: 20440472.
Unlike previous versions of STEP 7, as from STEP 7 V5.3 you only have to log on as user (no guest logon) to be able to work with STEP 7 in MS Windows 2003/XP/7. But you need administrator rights to install the STEP 7 software and install modules via the application "Set PG/PC Interface". For using options packages, please check the rights required in each case.
- Runnability with user rights is enabled only for STEP 7 itself. Operation and user rights are not ensured for options packages. Here you might need administrator or standard user rights in addition.
- After installing/uninstalling new hardware you must reboot the computer at least once directly with administrator rights.
||Installation over an existing version of STEP 7|
You can install STEP 7 version V5.5 over an existing installation of STEP 7 V5.1, V5.2, V5.3 or V5.4. Normally you do not need to uninstall an previous versions of STEP 7 or installed options packages beforehand. Please note, however, that STEP 7 version V5.3 no longer supports older operating systems (Windows 95/98/ME). Under circumstances it might be necessary to upgrade your operating system beforehand (see Point 2 "Software requirements"). You require a valid license for STEP 7 V3.x, V4.x, V5.0, V5.1, V5.2, V5.3 or V5.4 to install STEP 7 V5.5 Upgrade.
Make a backup of your authorizations/licenses before upgrading your operating system.
You cannot install an earlier version of STEP 7 (V5.2 or V5.3, for example) over a more recent version of STEP 7 (V5.5). If you have installed version V5.5 on your computer and for a specific reason you have to downgrade again to version V5.4, for example, then you must completely uninstall STEP 7 before installing. For this refer to our FAQ "Complete uninstallation of STEP 7" in Entry ID: 189025.
||Installation of STEP 7 Professional Edition 2010|
STEP 7 Professional includes the components STEP 7, S7-GRAPH, S7-SCL and S7-PLCSIM. It has a general setup and its own authorization/license. If you already have STEP 7 software installed on your computer, you need one of the following two software packages:
- STEP 7 Professional Upgrade
You can install this over a STEP 7 Professional Edition 01/2000, 08/2000, 08/2001, 12/2002, 2004 or 2006 (a relevant valid authorization/license must be installed).
- STEP 7 Professional PowerPack
You can install this over STEP 7 V3.x, V4.x, V5.0, V5.1, V5.2, V5.3, V5.4 or V5.5 (a relevant valid authorization/license must be installed). You must have the PowerPack to be able to switch from STEP 7 to STEP 7 Professional.
||Message: "Please reboot before installing any more programs"|
If you get this error message after installing STEP 7 even though you have already rebooted your PC, we recommend referring to the following FAQ:
- How can you clear the cause of the message "Please reboot before installing any more programs" (Windows XP/2000)?
(Entry ID: 8861819).
||Message: "257:5 One or more objects of a type cannot be displayed. ..."|
This error message is complemented by a second error text that refers to the server or also a file that cannot be found or recognized by STEP 7. This could be due to a faulty installation or a version conflict. We recommend referring to the following FAQ:
- "How can you clear the error message 257:5?"
(Entry ID: 18832840).
This FAQ includes a table with the second error texts that might be displayed in this context. For each error text there is a description of the cause and how to remedy it.
||Message: "RUNTIME ERROR 9 - Subscript out of range"|
When the STEP 7 Setup is started automatically from the STEP 7 installation CD and the following message appears: "RUNTIME ERROR 9 - Subscript out of range", then most likely the file "INSTDUMP.TMP" on C:\ on your computer has an old date. This file was created by an earlier Setup. It is created when the Setup is not terminated correctly (PC/PG crash or error during installation, for example).
Delete the "INSTDUMP.TMP" file located directly on the "C:\" drive.
||Message: "Run Time Error 53"|
In some cases the CD-ROM or DVD drives have problems reading and extracting installation files from the STEP 7 CD. This message appears at the start of the Setup from the CD in an external CD-ROM drive. If you have the possibility of procuring a new CD-ROM driver from the manufacturer, then you should replace your 16-bit-mode driver with a more recent 32-bit-mode driver. This will then clear this behavior. Otherwise proceed as follows.
- Copy the CD contents to a local or network drive and start Setup from there.
- If this is likewise not possible, you can also start the Setup for STEP 7 or NCM directly from the directory concerned.
If the Setup is executed on an operating system on which no default language is installed (DE, EN, FR, for example), the "Runtime error: 53" message: might also appear, because various files cannot be read because of the language-dependent ASCII character table.
- Copy the CD contents to a local or network drive and delete all the files that contain such ASCII characters. Since these characters are usually mainly in attached *.PDF files, you should now be able to install the software.
- To install the software set your operating system to a default language (DE, EN, FR).
||Message: "ScriptEngine too old"|
If installation of the STEP 7 software is aborted with the message "ScriptEngine too old", we recommend referring to the following two FAQs for a remedy:
- How do you install STEP 7 when the installation is aborted with an InstallShied error? (Entry ID: 17420236),
- "Default properties of the DCOM interface under MS Windows XP" (Entry ID: 16503255).
If none of the remedies in these two FAQs is successful, we recommend proceeding as follows:
- Empty all the temporary directories on your system.
- In Windows under "Start > Run..." enter "msiexec /unreg" and click on OK.
- Repeat this step and enter "msiexec /regserver".
- Delete the directory ...\Installshield\driver\8 (if it exists).
- Open the file ISScript8.Msi and follow the on-screen instructions. This file is located on the STEP 7 CD in the "IS" directory.
Then you can install STEP 7 via the Setup program (Setup.exe).
||Message: "Internal OLE error 256:26"|
If this message is displayed during or after installing the STEP 7 software or even when opening the SIMATIC Manager or any STEP 7 blocks, then we recommend referring to the following FAQ:
- Notes on error message 256:26 "An OLE error has occurred" (Entry ID: 10208766)
More information is available in the readme file of STEP 7 V5.5. This file is located
- On the STEP 7 CD in the "STEP7\Disk1" directory (file: README.WRI).
- After installing STEP 7, in Windows under "Start > SIMATIC > Information > English > STEP 7 - Readme".
System requirements, System performance, Setup