Compatibility information for WinCC is available in the Compatibility Tool of the Industry Online Support.
The tool is designed to support you in questions about the compatibility of various hardware and software products.
The database is constantly being revised and extended. In addition, you can use the tool centrally to download the compatibility lists of the separate product lines as Excel files.
We would appreciate your feedback on the new Compatibility Tool.
For this, please fill in and return the feedback form.
The table below contains the link to the Compatibility Tool and the feedback form.
To query the compatibility information you require, you must first choose a "master component" (WinCC, PCS 7, STEP 7, ...). To these "master components" you add more components (such as operating systems, virus scanners, other SIMATIC products, ...). Once you have chosen the components you require, you can have the compatibility list shown by hitting the "Show compatibility" button. A detailed description of the tool is available in the Online_Help.pdf file in the table below.
Release for operating system and Internet Explorer is only valid for WinCC. Please refer to the Release Notes for all other products.
For each version, please refer to the associated "Install Notes" and "Release Notes". Pay attention in particular to the software requirements for the Microsoft operating system and associated Microsoft Security Patches. More information about the Microsoft Security Patches is available in Entry ID: 18752994
SIMATIC WinCC V7.x is compatible with the following product versions:
In the case of WinCC V7.x, only the WinCC options supplied on the DVD are released for use in conjunction with the Basic Version of WinCC.
Notes on WinCC
- Loading Microsoft Windows hotfixes and security patches is permitted, but this does not apply for the operating system service packs whose implementation with SIMATIC WinCC requires an explicit release. WinCC V6 cannot run on an embedded PC.
- WinCC is not downwards compatible. This means you cannot operate a WinCC project created with WinCC version V6.0 SP4, for example, with a previous version of WinCC (WinCC V6.0 SP3 and earlier).
- WinCC is generally upwards compatible. This means that if, for example, you have upgraded WinCC V6.0 to WinCC V6.0 SP4, you can also operate your WinCC V6.0 project with WinCC version V6.0 SP4. You can find notes on this in the "Migration" chapter in the WinCC Online Help.
Notes on WinCC Server and WinCC Client Constellations
- For WinCC client-server systems, there are specific dependencies with regard to the versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system and the versions of WinCC. Refer to the notes given in the WinCC Information System under: Installation Notes > Installation Requirements > Software requirements for the installation. Notes on WinCC single-user systems are also available there.
- With WinCC V7.0, you can also operate a WinCC server with Windows XP. You may only operate this server with a maximum of 3 clients. Operation of WinCC V7.0 with Windows XP as server is permitted only without options (Redundancy, for example). Note, too, that in this case Engineering is not permitted on the WinCC clients.
- The same versions of the service packs for Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 must be installed for the WinCC server and for the WinCC clients.
- Perform a pure installation of Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 for the WinCC server without options such as "Domain Controller" or "Active Directories". This is due to the high requirements in terms of performance and memory space which would otherwise arise.
- Ensure that the operating systems in a WinCC client-server configuration are homogeneous with WinCC V5.x.
This means that if you operate the server side of WinCC with a Windows 2000 server, for example, then Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2000 Advanced Server must also be installed on the WinCC client side.
Notes on using the Remote software on WinCC stations
- Use of the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is permitted exclusively for the teleservicing of WinCC Clients. In addition, there must be no server services enabled on those computers (WebNavigator Server, DataMonitor Server or OPC Server, for example).
The reason for this lies in the handling of Remote Desktop sessions by the Microsoft operating system.
You must use the RealVNC software for remote access to the other computers of a distributed WinCC plant (WinCC Server, for example).
- Unlike PCS 7, the pcAnywhere software is not supplied withWinCC.
- The Host version of pcAnywhere must be installed on a WinCC station if that WinCC station is to be remote controlled by another PC station with pcAnywhere.
- The other PC station that remote controls the WinCC station needs the Remote version of pcAnywhere for remote control. For this you need the full version of pcAnywhere.
If you wish to use the full version of pcAnywhere from Symantec, then you have to procure the software.
- The full version of pcAnywhere is not released on WinCC systems.
Make sure that you install pcAnywhere before WinCC.
Notes on using virus scanners on WinCC stations
- Disable the integrated firewall of the virus scanners or do not install the firewall.
- Do not run manual or time-controlled scans during Runtime mode.
- In the case of automatic scanning, only monitor the incoming data traffic.
- Scan only local drives.
- Enable e-mail scanning only on WinCC Engineering Stations.
- Disable display of dialog messages.
More important information, also regarding third-party software, is available in WinCC "Release Notes" and in the WinCC Online Help in the following paths.
As from WinCC V7.0: "WinCC Information System > Working with WinCC > Working with Projects > Making settings for Runtime > Influence of external applications on Runtime".
As from WinCC V6.0 SP3: "WinCC Information System > Working with WinCC > Working with Projects > Activating project > Settings for Runtime > External applications".
Notes on using Smart Tools in WinCC
How do you install WinCC Smart Tools? Entry ID: 10880206
What Smart Tools are there for WinCC (brief description)? Entry ID: 13681075
Notes for using OPC in WinCC
The WinCC Help includes general notes on OPC, functionality, OPC specifications and compatibility. The Help also contains a detailed description of the WinCC version concerned, which OPC servers are available, the requirements for operation, how the OPC servers are used as well as sample configurations and commissioning notes. There is also a detailed description of how to use WinCC as OPC client in each version of WinCC.
More information is available in the WinCC Information System in this path:
WinCC Information System > Tools > OPC - Open Connectivity
More information, about how to program an OPC client with Visual Basic or C, for example, is available in the manual of the OPC specification concerned at www.opcfoundation.org.
The following licenses are required for the WinCC OPC server:
|WinCC OPC server
|WinCC OPC DA server
||WinCC Runtime license (WinCC RT or WinCC RC license)|
|WinCC OPC HDA server, WinCC OPC A&E server, WinCC OPC XML DA
||WinCC Connectivity Pack license|
|WinCC OPC DA server, WinCC OPC HDA server, WinCC OPC A&E server
||WinCC Connectivity Station license|
The table below shows the compatibility lists in the previous form.
WARNING The status of these lists is as at March 2013 and will no longer be revised and updated.
|SIMATIC WinCC V7.2 is compatible with the following product versions:
WinCC V7.2 Compatibility List
| ( 75 KB ) |
|SIMATIC WinCC V7.0 is compatible with the following product versions:
WinCC V7.0 Compatibility List
| ( 118 KB ) |
|SIMATIC WinCC V6.2 is compatible with the following product versions:
WinCC V6.2 Compatibility List
| ( 76 KB ) |
|SIMATIC WinCC V6.0 is compatible with the following product versions:
WinCC V6.0 Compatibility List
| ( 83 KB ) |
|SIMATIC WinCC V5.x is compatible with the following product versions:
WinCC V5.x Compatibility List
| ( 71 KB ) |
Internet Explorer, IE, STEP 7, S7, SIMATIC NET, WebNavigator, ProAgent, WinBDE, Migration, Upgrade, 21927667, 15227707, 24122009, 33912473, 8795716, 11703924, 49382338, Remote service, Remote control, Additional software, Remote software, Remote diagnostics, Smart Tools, System requirements, Communication requirements, GMP, Pharma, Life Science, Validation, FDA 21 CFR Part 11