Why does Microsoft Windows 98 SE stop during shut down with the
message "Your Computer will be shut down"?
The reason of the message is the fact, that the internal network
adapter or the graphics card were assigned the same IRQ (15) as was
the second IDE channel of the hard drive und thus there is an IRQ
conflict on your device. The present above described behaviour
occured merely if there was no CD-ROM drive installed on the PCs
(Panel PC 670 V2 or Box PC 620 V2). As remedy we recommend to
modify the settings of the IRQ Steering:
- Open via "Start > Settings > Control Panel >
System" the properties of "System" and choose tab
- In the device manager choose "System Components" and
doubleclick with the left onto "PCI-Bus". In properties of
the PCI-Bus deactivate option "Use IRQ Steering"
(untick the box).
- Click "OK" and restart your computer. After your PC booted, try
again to shut it down.
Fig. 1: PCI Bus Properties and Deactivating Option "Use IRQ
In case your operating system stopps again on above described
message, do the following changes in order to use the first IDE
- As described above in item 1 and 2 "System components"
and here doubleclick with a left click on "Hard Disk Controllers
/ Standard-Dual PCI IDE Controller".
- In properties of "Standard-Dual PCI IDE Controller"
choose tab "Settings" and set "Dual-IDE - Channel Settings"
to "Only Primary IDE Channel enabled".
- Then click "OK" and restart your computer.
Fig. 2: Properties of Dual PCI IDE Controller and Setting "Only
Primary IDE Channel enabled"
A further possibility to remedy above behaviour is to disable
the network adapter in the BIOS.
- Restart your computer and press "F2" during booting in order to
enter the BIOS.
- By using the curser keys in tab "Main" on "Hardware
- Change here "Onboard Ethernet Options" to
- After saving settings restart the PC.
Before you do above described settings, ensure you can reproduce
the current state of the software.