How do you configure a Microsoft ActiveSync connection for
MP270 and MP370?
Prerequisite for the configuration is that Microsoft
ActiveSync is installed on the PC. You can download this
program from the Internet at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads. The Readme file gives a
compatibility list of the program to the operating systems.
Once these preparations have been made on the PC you can start
with the configuration.
The settings taking the example of an MP370 (valid
also for MP270)
The ProTool Runtime on the panel must be closed and you must
click the "Taskbar" button in the boot loader and also the "Control
- In the Start menu select: "Start > Programs >
Communications > Remote Networking".
- Create a new connection by double-clicking "Make New
- Give the connection a name - e.g. "ActiveSync".
- Select "Direct Connection" and click
- Select the connection type you want - e.g. "Serial Cable on
- Enter the following settings in the "Port Settings"
Baud Rate: "19200"
Data Bits: "8"
Stop Bits: "1"
Flow Control: "Hardware"
- Click "OK" and then "Finish".
- Go to the Control Panel via "Start > Settings >
- Double-click "Communications".
- In the "Device Name" tab, change "Device Name" to
a name of your choice.
- Switch to the "PC Connection" tab:
- Set a check mark for "Enable Direct Connection to the
Desktop Computer ".
- Via the "Change" button select the "ActiveSync"
connection created in step two.
- Click "OK" and then "OK" again.
Settings on the PC
- In the Start menu, select "Start > Settings > Control
- Double-click "System" and switch to the
- Click the "Device Manager" button.
- In the directory tree in "Ports (COM & LPT)" select
"Communications Port (COM2)" with a double-click.
- Make the following settings in the "Port Settings"
Fig. 1: Port settings on the PC
The interface properties of the computer must match those in
"Port Settings" on the panel.
- Acknowledge the dialog with "OK".
Create a connection between Panel and PC
- You need a ZERO MODEM cable for connection the two
Assignment of the zero modem for Active Sync ( 11 KB )
- Connect the "IF 2" interface of the panel via the zero
modem to the COM2 Port of the PC.
- Close ProTool on your PC if it happens to be
- Start Microsoft ActiveSync on the PC via "Start >
Programs > Microsoft ActiveSync" and then click
Fig. 3: Setting up a connection
- Start connection setup on the panel via "Start >
Programs > Communications > PC Link".
- The PC attempts to set up a connection to the panel.
Fig. 4: Automatic connection setup to the panel
- When the connection between the panel and the PC is set up, a
dialog for synchronizing data opens on the PC. This dialog should
only be acknowledged if you want the panel data and PC data to be
synchronized, this means that in the case of a Palm, for example,
the Outlook data is synchronized. Normally the data is not
- The following window opens as soon as the connection has been
Fig. 5: Microsoft ActiveSync
If connection setup isn't successful you should restart your
computer and perform steps 1 to 6 again.
- If Microsoft ActiveSync could not set up a connection, check
the following settings in Microsoft ActiveSync via "File >
Fig. 6: Connection settings
With this connection you can transfer data and software from the
PC to the panel.
No warranty can be given for the correct functioning of
non-Siemens software like Microsoft Active Sync. Please note also
that only programs based on the MIPS and RISC architecture work for